Holy Assumption Orthodox Church
OCA Diocese of the Midwest
114 E. Main Street, Marblehead, Ohio 43440

Founded in 1898, Holy Assumption is the second oldest Orthodox Church in the State of Ohio and was founded by immigrants from the modern European nations of Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

The parish originally met in the old church building of the Marblehead Congregational Church, which they purchased.  Fr. Jason Kappanadze served as its first Supply Priest.

Construction of the current temple began when the founding men of the parish dug, by hand, its foundation. In 1906, the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church instructed Bishop Tikhon to bless the cornerstone, consecrate the temple and conduct the first services in this new church. The four main icons of the iconostas were donated to the parish by Czar Nicholas II.

Pride in their new church inspired its members to new sacrifices and in spite of many hardships and challenges, the parish continued to grow. Milestones included:

  • 1929 - The first formal choir was organized,
  • 1929 – Parish youth formed an "R" Club becoming Chapter #14 of the Federated Russian Orthodox Clubs,
  • 1942 - the Mothers & Daughters Club was formed,
  • 1944 - the first formal Church School Program was established,
  • 1940's and 50's - M. Rozdilsky completed two new icons for the altar, electricity was installed, carpeting laid, pews installed and a new oil furnace purchased,
  • 1953 Fr. Daniel Hubiak was appointed as the first full time Rector of Holy Assumption. By November of 1953 the new rectory was completed and furnished for Fr. Hubiak and his family,
  • 1966 Nicholas and Peter Roadway adorned the interior walls of the temple with icons of Nativity of the Theotokos, the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Annunciation to the Theotokos, the Sermon on the Mount, and our Lord's visit to the home of Martha and Mary. In addition, icons of St. Helena, St. Sava of Zvenigorodsk, and of the Protection of the Theotokos were added, along with an icon of the Holy Spirit attended by angels, which was installed over the sanctuary. The ceiling of the Nave was decorated with the "Sign of Victory" ICXC, NIKA at the center and stars symbolizing the heavens filled the rest of the ceiling,
  • 1969 - Renovation of the parish hall below the temple was done,

After repairs to the ceiling of the temple were completed in 2006, the installation of new iconography both in the altar and in the nave of the temple took place. The icon of the Panagia flanked by two cherubim was placed over the altar, the icon of the Pantokrator placed in the center of the ceiling of the nave, and the icon of the Holy Napkin over the doors to the vestibule. These icons were written by Fr. Paul Albert of the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America. In addition the icon of St. Sophia and her three daughters, wirtten by Mr. Dennis Bell, was installed on the eastern wall of the nave.

Today, Holy Assumption continues to bears witness to the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church as it proclaims the Good News of Jesus Christ. Our parish continues to welcome new members and converts and we play an active role in the community life of the Marblehad Peninsula.


Weekly Liturgical & Event Schedule

Sunday, October 15
9:15 am: Hours
9:30 am: Divine Liturgy and 40-Day Memorial for Lois followed by Social
1:00 pm: Cocktail Hour in Campbell
2:00 pm: Grand Banquet in Campbell

Tuesday, October 17
11:30 am: Marblehead Clergy Meeting

Thursday, October 19
7:30-9:30 am: Ottawa County Opiate & Heroin Forums
3:30-5:30 pm: Same as above

Saturday, October 21
3:30 pm: Confessions
4:00 pm: Great Vespers followed by Confessions


Weekly Bulletin

October 15
Section 1
Section 2